This information may be different than what you see when you visit a financial institution, service provider or specific product’s site. All financial products, shopping products and services are presented without warranty. When evaluating offers, please review the financial institution’s Terms and Conditions. It’s okay to start with a smaller list of advertised services and add more as you see the need. Your market research, along with your knowledge of your skills, should help you determine your niche.
- Following its acquisition in 2018, I started Future Firm to help accountants fast-track the growth of a modern, scalable accounting firm of their own.
- This has allowed me to set up systems in my bookkeeping business to streamline operations and become extremely efficient in supporting my clients.
- They are the two most mature cloud accounting products around.
- Networking could mean physically going to conferences and joining relevant Meetups, or it could mean meeting people through social media.
And if you’re working remotely with your new clients and/or your team, there is just no replacing a video call. Conversely, without uncovering that pain point, potential clients would likely be more price sensitive. With this interaction, you have uncovered a pain point, which then increases the value of what you’re offering making it easier to get clients. Here we are just understanding the small business itself which is a critical step to get clients.
The Bottom Line on How to Start a Bookkeeping Business
If you don’t have them already, you’ll need to have a solid grasp of bookkeeping principles. Fortunately, there are several ways you can learn, both online and in person. Virtually all community colleges offer bookkeeping courses. The cost per credit hour is generally much lower than a traditional four-year college, and you can attend full-time or part-time, depending on your schedule. Now that you understand the fundamental startup costs, let’s look at the steps you’ll need to take to launch your new bookkeeping business. Now that you’ve organized your business, you can start setting up operations, like getting the right small business insurance and opening a separate business checking account. It’s important to separate your business operations from your personal finances to make your accounting easier and potentially affect your liability in the event of a lawsuit.
This “why” is the purpose of your accounting firm and it’s important that the purpose of your accounting firm is incredibly clear to you, your team, and your clients. All content on this page is for general informational purposes only and does not apply to any specific case, is not legal, tax or insurance advice and should not be relied upon. Please note that the information provided on this page may change at any time as a result of legislative action, court decisions or rules adopted or amended by any state or the federal government. Word-of-mouth is still the champion of all marketing tactics.
Step 2 – Choose Your Web Pages
You will want to get some kind of insurance to protect you even further since you are in the service industry and working directly with clients. You can just call around to various insurance companies, let them know you’re opening a business, and share with them that you want to be protected with business insurance. You’ll need bookkeeping insurance as you’re providing an essential service for businesses.
That is the program that I also plan to use for majority of my clients. This could include friends and family, your previous workplace, local advertising, website and social media marketing, and word of mouth. I have a dream to help several number of other companies having business bookkeeping bookkeeping challeges. I started my journey to this dream by drafting some 2 paged idea plan of bookkeeping business however my plan was sketchy and was missing alot. I want to be self employed in my proffession but one who fits in the 21st century technology.
How to Start a Financial Services Business
Develop an online presence with a website that is optimized for search. Determining where clients will find out about you and finding ways to meet them there (e.g., Google My Business, Google Ads, etc…).
After a few years, I got pregnant and wanted the impossible . That was not an option with that company, so we agreed to part ways so that I could follow my dream. And, then, I focused on starting a virtual bookkeeping business. I’m going to tell you my story on how I built and grew my virtual bookkeeping business.
Open a business bank account
This article and related content is provided on an” as is” basis. Sage makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness or accuracy of this article and related content.
- Do you have a network of trusted professionals you can refer clients to when they need something outside of your expertise?
- Study the requirements and track your progress toward meeting them.
- Bookkeepers also aren’t required to have an accounting degree.
- Your choice of business structure will affect many aspects of your business, from liability to taxes.
- This offering is attractive to clients so they don’t have to worry about keeping a subscription.
Writing a business plan is something that everyone should do before they start their own business. While a business plan can be used to obtain funding for your business, the real value is the thought that goes into the process of writing a plan. Look into our comprehensive guide to small-business marketing, which will cover how to reach people through SEO, search ads, social media and more. If your clients will be sending you things such as receipts or statements, you might want to consider the tool that you’ll use to share files.
Want More Marketing Tips for How to Start a Bookkeeping Business?
You also have the option to create a virtual business with bookkeeping. There are many online tools that can help you provide all the services needed. Even if you’re a fully virtual bookkeeper, you still need to inspire confidence in your clients that their private and personal information is being handled with the utmost security and confidentiality. When you’re working from your home, you must reassure your clients that you’re actively and carefully securing their data. Having an actual home office with a locking door is the best way to do this. If you don’t have the space for this, aim to have a desk with locking drawers where physical paperwork can be kept. Also, make sure your computer is password-protected, and that no one but you signs into it.
- The next day, hop on to LinkedIn, sort through them, and connect with all business owners you met and send a personalized message.
- You will want to make sure you register with the accountant version.
- This bookkeeper has eight clients that are a variety of sizes.
- When setting up an online bookkeeping business, you should also take steps to protect yourself.
- The content of Part-Time Money® is for general information purposes only and does not constitute professional advice.
- This can be a tricky part of the process, but I recommend as you start out charging by the hour.